|When:||Tuesday, April 30th, 2019|
|Time:||3:30 pm — 7:30 pm|
|Location:||La Cite Collegiale, 801 Aviation Pkwy, Ottawa, ON K1K 4R3|
|Audience:||Alumni, Carleton Community, Current Students|
Career Kickstart! Employment Pathways for College and University Students
It’s time to kick-start your career by learning more about the employment pathways that are available to you on your campus. Attend this two-part event that will help you map out some of the great, but sometimes little known, pathways that exist for you as a student or as a new graduate.
Representing students and recent graduates from Algonquin, Carleton, La Cité and the University of Ottawa, the David C. Onley Initiative invites you to an evening designed to help you explore the many different career paths that could lead to meaningful career opportunities while building your skills and enhancing your professional experiences.
Sound Interesting? Here’s what we have planned:
Part I: 3:30 – 5:00 PM – CAREER KICKSTARTER DINNER + ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION
- Kick-Start Your Career Dinner – We will treat you (that’s right, there is no cost!) to a dinner to celebrate the conclusion of a successful academic year and exam season.
- Student Sharing Roundtable – We will provide an opportunity for all attendees, as they are comfortable, to exchange ideas and explore their employment needs and access to campus support services – whatever your career and employment needs are, in a safe, confidential and inclusive environment.
- Personalized Pathway Resource – All participants will receive a practical, and personalized tool designed to help YOU discover those opportunities available to build meaningful employment pathways during YOUR academic journey (i.e. part-time work, summer positions, coop/internships, new grad recruitment opportunities, entrepreneurship skills).
Part II: 5:00 – 7:30 PM – Kick-Start Your Career in Government Information Fair
- Hear from representatives of Ottawa’s largest employer – the Federal Government of Canada – also known as the Public Service Commission (PSC). We know that navigating the application process for the PSC (i.e. FSWEP, new grad recruitment program, etc. can be overwhelming, confusing and complicated but this session will help you navigate the process.
- This is part one of a two part event (the 2nd half will be held in Fall 2019) where PSC post-secondary recruiters will explain the many career pathways available for students with disabilities. They will also share what you need to be doing now and how to prepare for the Fall 2019 Recruitment Campaigns.
- The evening will conclude with a PSC Networking Showcase representing various government departments where you can have one on one discussions to explore opportunities of potential interest as you.
Did you say SIGN ME UP?!
AWESOME!! Here are some additional pieces of information that you need to know:
- To Register: Visit Accessible Employer Showcase Event on EventBrite and complete your registration.
- Deadline to Register: Registration and requests for accommodations will be taken until Wednesday, April 24th by 12 pm (noon)
- Transportation: We know that getting to La Cite (if you’re not a La Cite student) might be a challenge so we have arranged for a bus to pick up students from each institution at a designated time. Our Eventbrite link will have more details on the pick-up/drop off times.
- Simultaneous Translation: We will be offering simultaneous translation from English to French and French to English during the event.
- Accommodations Required? If you need any special accommodations, let us know and we will happily work with you to ensure that your needs are taken into consideration (i.e. use of service animals, visual/hearing impairments, wheelchair/scooter access, etc.). Visit Eventbrite to specify your needs or contact our office at email@example.com.
Don’t forget to REGISTER TODAY! Spaces are limited so don’t miss out.